Main Content

Mexican Visas and Immigration

US, Mexico, Canada Flags

Like many industrialized nations, Mexico has a comprehensive legal and statutory Immigration Policy affecting Mexicans and foreign nationals. The majority of foreigners either visiting or living in Mexico will qualify for one of three types of visa.

(1) Visitor … (2) Temporary Resident … (3) Permanent Resident
                                                                      (Scroll down for information on each)

COVID19 INFORMATION: As of today, Mexico is OPEN to visitors. No special requirements, health tests, or quarantines are required. However, all travelers entering Mexico BY AIR from another country are required to complete a health questionnaire which can be submitted online. This is in ADDITION to the Tourist Card.

NEW !!!  Don’t Waste Time at the airport – Get Your Tourist Card HERE, IT IS COMPLETELY FREE!

TRAVEL ADVISORY: Most commercial airlines NO LONGER hand out immigration forms. We strongly recommend you fill out your form(s) ONLINE now so you don’t delay your immigration process when you arrive in Mexico. The “By Air” form can be filled out online, printed and taken to the airport to present to the Immigration official upon arrival in Mexico.

​EXPEDITE YOUR ENTRY – When you arrive in Mexico you present your printed Tourist Card, your passport, and since your information is already in the system, the Immigration Officer just needs to stamp your Tourist Card and that’s it – Welcome to Mexico, Enjoy Your Stay!


FMM-Visitor Permit

(1) The FMM Visitor’s Permit/Card is for people who do NOT want to seek permanent residence in Mexico. Such as: Tourists, Artists, Charitable events, Foreigners who come to spend Winter season in Mexico, etc.

Good for up to 180 days, the Visitante FMM (Visitor’s Card) is obtained when you enter Mexico either by land, air, or sea. The only requirement is … read more


Mexico-Temporary Resident Visa

Temporary Resident Visa

(2) The Residente Temporal is a renewable long-term permit, and allows unlimited entries to and exits from Mexico.

You can get a Temporary Resident Visa from a Mexican Consulate in your home country, which is valid for a period of one year, and may be renewed from inside Mexico for an additional period of one to three years … read more …



Permanent Resident Visa

(3) Intended for people seeking permanent residency status in Mexico for long periods of time, and who may seek eventual Mexican Citizenship. If you’re retired, this is the best option for you.

There are several advantages to having a Residente Permanenteread more …


There is No Surrender of Citizenship

You do not have to surrender your natural citizenship to be granted full resident status in Mexico, nor to become a naturalized Mexican. Full resident status or naturalization entitles you to all rights and benefits of a Mexican National (live, work, claim state benefits and to pay taxes) but you cannot vote in Mexican elections.

Applying for Mexican Visas

You may apply for your visa(s) in person, or you may hire a representative to advise you, make the application on your behalf and do all of the paperwork. Click on the appropriate flag to find the Mexican Embassy or Consulate office nearest you.

Mexican Consulate in Canada

Mexican Consulate in Canada

US Mexican Consulate

Mexican Embassy/Consulate offices in the USA

| Back to Top |